If you were to ask, Dr. Filly, where have the leftists made their greatest headway in entrenchment of their ideas, I would immediately answer, EDUCATION.
It is difficult to pick up a newspaper or listen to the evening news without hearing some change in our posture on K-12 education. While not all are offered by the left, those that have stuck have been left-wing notions.
Before you analyze the chart below one needs to ask themselves are few questions:
- Do you believe American students have less native intelligence than students of other nations?
- Do you believe that if we just “invest” more in education we will get better results?
- Do you believe that if we hired more staff our children’s educational performance would improve?
- Do you believe that the problem of test score performance is due to rising student enrollment?
- Do you believe that if we spent more “per-student” our results would improve?
- Think back and ask yourself when “the left” started their takeover of K-12 education.
- Who has the “school monopoly” – parents or the government or the “teachers” union?
[Source: The Global Version Of More Money =/= Better Education, by Daniel J. Mitchell]
OK. Now analyze this graph:
In my humble opinion this chart completely denies the positions of the left. Their INVARIABLE ANSWERS to every problem is we need to “plan (centrally) what MUST be done” then adequately FUND IT. When the results are negative, they respond “we needed MORE FUNDS.”
Am I wrong?
Let me be frank. Despite being a teacher for nearly a half century, I do not have “an answer.” However, it doesn’t take a statistician to see that we have been doing the WRONG thing. Let’s try “school choice.” Could the results possibly be any more dismal than what we have been doing for the past 5 decades?