It has been a unique two days for my little website. An argument raged on about the American Health Care Act. For the most part the argument was quite civil (good points were made on both sides), but emotions ran strong, particularly because I said that the Freedom Caucus was to blame for Obamacare remaining the law of the land.
But, at least, I learned what a RINO is. That is a Republican In Name Only. But how do we define that? Well, I believe the best definition would be Republicans who side with the Democrats. Let’s look at the vote:
- Republicans — 201 “yes” votes
- Democrats — 193 “no” votes
- Freedom Caucus — 36 “no” votes
Hmm! Looks like the Freedom Caucus sided with the Democrats to make Obamacare the law of the land. They must be those rotten RINOs.
Their intransigence got so bad that one of their members resigned from the Caucus, Rep. Ted Poe (R-TX). Why ever did he do that?
The Congressman resigned Sunday in protest over the group’s opposition to the Republican-backed health care bill. He was one of the original members of the Freedom Caucus. Poe stated that the President, the Vice President, Paul Ryan and the Secretary of HHS came to the Caucus and agreed to some changes demanded by the Caucus SEVERAL TIMES (that debunks several of the arguments). But they had decided that “No was going to be the answer… The goalposts kept getting moved,” Poe said. “And no matter what, at the end of the day, ‘no’ was the answer.” (The “goalposts” statement and the “no was going to be the answer” statement debunks several other arguments.)
To be honest I do not know whether Speaker Ryan chose the best course of action or whether the AHCA was the “best” we could do. But, as a scientist, I know there are three possibilities:
- The AHCA was exactly the same as Obamacare (they simply copied the bill and all of its regulations — no small task (see below) — and renamed it the American Health Care Act.
- The AHCA was worse than Obamacare and absolutely nothing “Republicans want” was in the legislation plus a few things “Republicans hate.”
- The ACHA was better than Obamacare (exactly “how much better” to be judged by the American citizen).
You can vote on which was the correct assumption, but we all know the answer. And the final immutable fact that cannot be denied: OBAMACARE REMAINS THE LAW OF THE LAND! (Look at the photo above. That is what we are forced to live with.)