There has been a literal, or should I say “literary,” firestorm following President Trump’s executive order to ban the issuance of visas from seven nations – all of which are majority Muslim nations.
Here are some facts to put into your calculus of whether this was a good or bad idea.
The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 is extensive and prohibits all sorts of foreigners from entering the USA. Below are just 10 such provisions. By clicking on the link you can see the entire law. When the law was enacted the Democrat Party held majorities in both the House and Senate.
GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION
A foreigner could be deemed ineligible for:
- Health-related grounds;
- Who is determined… to have a communicable disease of public health significance;
- Who has failed to present documentation of having received vaccination against vaccine-preventable diseases;
- To have a physical or mental disorder and behavior associated with the disorder that may pose, or has posed, a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others;
- To have had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder, which behavior has posed a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others and which behavior is likely to recur or to lead to other harmful behavior;
- Who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to be a drug abuser or addict, is inadmissible;
- Who has committed a crime involving moral turpitude;
- A violation of (or a conspiracy or attempt to violate) any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance… is inadmissible;
- Is or has been an illicit trafficker in any controlled substance or in any listed chemical;
You are also not allowed in if you were a Nazi or member of any government formed with the assistance of the Nazi government.
Here is the key provision with regard to President Trump’s executive order:
“Whenever the president finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.”
According to the Pew Research Center there are 50 Muslim-majority countries. Mr. Trump blocked the issuance of visas from 7 of these where terrorists are known to be actively trained. Some of the nations have NO FUNCTIONING GOVERNMENT. Therefore, I believe it is fair to state that calling his executive order “a Muslim ban” is inaccurate. Furthermore, the seven Muslim-majority countries targeted in President Trump’s executive order on immigration were initially identified as “countries of concern” under the Obama administration.
Now you have some facts to proceed with your decision.